Morocco!

Disclaimer: Morocco wasn't on my initial list, Algeria was. I found a popular Algerian soup, Harira, on the menu at MoMo's Kebab in Cleveland Heights, so I figured that I'd go there, get the soup, and be on my way. What I didn't factor in was how absolutely smitten I'd be by MoMo's and decided that rules were made to be broken, so now Morocco was on my list. 


MoMo's Kebab is a little spot on the main drag through Cleveland Heights. When we were looking for homes, this exact spot on Lee Rd. was our North Star. We'd use it to figure out where the house was in the different neighborhoods and where we could walk to from there. Fast forward to living in the area for seven months and walking down to this area exactly once. Whoops! 

The inside is colorful and full of treasures from Morocco - rugs, tapestries, leather poufs for seating, gorgeous mini tagines, camel figurines, etc. MoMo himself greeted us warmly with his white chef's jacket and toque, the tall chef's hat you don't find on many chefs these days. I immediately fell in love with the place. You could tell it was a labor of love and a point of pride for him and I felt very lucky to have a seat at his table.  He presented us with the beautiful, leather-bound menus with a few carefully curated menu items listed - a couple soups, a few salads, and then lamb, beef, and vegan tagines and couscous plus the same on platters with chicken and kefta as options there as well. 
I had read about the tea service, so we knew we were getting that for sure. We both decided on a soup, Bissara for Jason and Harira for me, as well as lamb and beef tagine

Order in, let the fun begin! 

MoMo was a talker and luckily, so are we, so we had a great time listening to him share his journey to owning the restaurant. (The Heights-Observer did a great profile  on him awhile back!) From Morocco to France to Germany to Russia to Washington DC and finally landing in Cleveland, he has perfected his craft by cooking for both the Moroccan ambassador and parties of his friends. He has kept the menu intentionally small to make sure they execute it with the freshest ingredients and consistent quality. His wife and brother help out in the kitchen and the pride is evident throughout.  

The soups, salads, and bread were brought out first and they were beauties! Jason's Bissara - green split chickpea, herbs, and olive oil - was the standout. Full of flavor, creamy, and topped with olive oil and herbs, this was something special. We both talked about coming back just for a bowl of that soup! My Harira - lentil, noodles, tomato, parsley, celery, and cilantro - was also great, but wasn't as surprising in flavor as the Bissara. I am a bit of a salad freak; my comfort food is a giant mixing bowl full of salad like some kind of weirdo. This salad featuring shaved chunks of feta and a bright, lemon-y dressing was an excellent one. Sometimes simple really is the way to go.  The bread, I believe called khobz, was a seeded whole wheat and very similar to bread I've had in Turkish restaurants. Perfect to dunk into the soup! 

Next up was MoMo with his tea presentation and I swear I giggled like a child. Why?! It was pouring of tea! But, the vibes in this place made you act a fool, I guess. (Check out the video on Instagram for my maniacal laugh.)


The tagines were out of this world. Have you ever had lamb that just fell apart with the lightest touch of the fork? This was the simplest of dishes - meat, potatoes, and vegetables - but the spices and patient preparation turned it into something really special. I was so sad to eat the last bite! 

This meal was outstanding from start to finish. Quality ingredients made with love can never steer you wrong. As witnessed by the many regulars at the tables, this is a place that shares that love freely. 

18 down, 34 to go! 

MoMo's Kebab
2199 Lee Rd.
Cleveland Heights, OH 44118
216-932-3512

Operating Hours:
TUE | 5pm - 9pm
WED - SAT | 12pm - 9pm
SUN - MON | closed

Comments

Popular Posts